I just had to listen to some Andrew W. K. the other day and tell myself to lighten the frick up. I’m tired of worrying, tired of the economic doom and gloom, tired of the bad news coverage of Michigan. Have we hit bottom? Probably not, but why wait? It’s time to take a break and throw a party, for no other reason than the fact that we’re all still here. Turn off the Fox Fear Channel and do a little victory dance with me.
I present you with some positive news from my neck of the woods:
1) I don’t live in a war zone.
2) I haven’t lost any family or friends to disease or accidents lately.
3) The birds are singing straight through the April snowstorm outside. The air is clean, and the crocuses are blooming.
4) My first baby is due next month.
5) My pregnancy nausea has lifted enough in the last 2 weeks that I can enjoy food again! I’ve missed our special times together, food.
6) My husband is truly wonderful and only gets better with time.
7) I haven’t had a migraine in so long I can barely remember how awful it was. What an unspeakable blessing!
Okay, can I get churchy on you for just one second? The Bible advocates partying in a crisis. Oh, yes it does! Psalm 23:5 says: “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.” That’s Israel’s King David celebrating the fact that in the middle of a war, God says “Time out!” and throws out a banquet spread. Awesome! Go find that bottle of wine you were saving for a special occasion.
Times are really hard, but is it ever as bad as we fear it will be? (I’m preaching to myself here.) What are you celebrating today?